Tuesday, March 30, 2010

1964 Finished! And now Year #18: 1972

Well, we're about to hit up Virginia Beach for a few days, but we wanted to check in and let you all know we did watch our 1964 movies, and after our vacation is over, we will be getting right back to it with our new year, 1972. Boy, I think that was a run on sentance. Yikes, I just spelled sentence wrong, and it's giving me those squiggly lines, but I don't feel like changing it. It's early, and I prefer to be grammatically incorrect! Ok, back on topic, here's how we fared with our 1964 films...

We first watched Kim's pick, Mary Poppins! I feel like you have to say her name with a higher pitched British voice and an exclamation point. This was a fun little number about these 2 kids who apparently no nanny can handle, until this lady Mary Poppins comes floating in from the sky with her umbrella. She is seemingly the creation of all the qualities the children wanted from a nanny, plus way more. She's got crazy magical powers to clean rooms and jump through paintings. Then there is Dick Van Dyke (who was definitely the best and funniest part of this film), who plays this guy who seems to be homeless and has various jobs around town, but is also in cahoots with Mary Poppins. Good times. I had never seen this movie before and enjoyed it very much - it was certainly entertaining. Kim has seen it before, and whilst it is not her favorite 60's musical, she felt it was an important piece of work and good enough to sit through again.

And now on to the complete other side of crazy town, we watched my pick Dr. Strangelove or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb. Well this was interesting. Sometimes I forget how bizarre Kubrick can be. This is about this insane air force general guy named Jack Ripper who, in post WWII America, decided the Russian Commies are trying to infect their bodily fluids with tampered water, and orders a missions to nuke the bastards. Well, this order he made was called Plan R, which is an emergency tactic that the planes on the mission can no longer receive open communication and Ripper's base is sealed off, thus the order is basically irreversible. Anyway, the President and joint chiefs of staff get word of this, and are trying to figure out any way to stop this while sitting around a large table in the war room of the Pentagon. Hilarity and horror ensue, and can they stop the world from ending? We both enjoyed this one, although I think it's either A) a bit overrated or B) a movie that you need to watch more than once to fully enjoy. Either way, interesting stuff.

So now, we decide, what's the best? I think I enjoyed the two musicals, Mary Poppins and My Fair Lady, pretty equally, but Strangelove was a little bit more my style, so I'll go with that one. Whereas, Kim's love for My Fair Lady could not be topped by either of the two movies we watched.

Alright, time for our next year. Another solid pick: 1972! The year of the Best Picture movie many believe to be the greatest movie of all time (not us, but we'll get to that). Duh Duh Duh! Yes, 1972 was the year of The Godfather. Ah yes, Vito Corleone and his lovely Mafia family who put horse heads in your bed if you mess with him. Basically, this movie just chronicles his family and Al Pacino's transformation from reluctant Mafia member to crazy new leader. Lots of action, lots of blood, lots of food. We both really liked this film, but would not put it in the Top 5 movies of all time, which as I said before, many do. We both scored this film a 4.5, giving it a 9, which is a solid score, but it ain't no 10. And now to our picks...

Adam: Deliverance
Kim: Cabaret

Ooooooooooooh weeeeeeeeeee! Squeal like a pig! Yes, I did it. I remember watching Deliverance when I was younger and loving it, and also being terrified by it. Kim has never seen it, so there you go. As for Kim, Cabaret was another one of those movies that she thought, "Why aren't we watching Cabaret?" when we were watching The Godfather. To add insult to injury, Cabaret won 8 Academy Awards that year, Godfather only won 3. Also, I have never seen Cabaret, so there you go again. Time to be cultured once again!

And now your turn, which movie was the best? The Godfather, Deliverance or Cabaret (they were ALL nominated for Best Picture that year, yikes!) What other movies from 1972 did you enjoy? Please post!!

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this blog? I did not see it, I swear! Godfather would be my fav out of three...Cabaret next...Deliverance was a good movie but VERY disturbing.

    ReplyDelete