Friday, June 25, 2010

YES! 1963 is DONE! Year #22: 1941

So, I bet you all didn't think we'd ever get back to this thing, huh? I will admit, we've been a little busy these days, with you know, the typical things...school, work, laundry, pets, housework, a new baby, bills, etc., but nothing will keep us from finishing our contest! Gotta finish what we started. Back when we last posted, our next year on the agenda was from 1963- It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. This went up against that year's less than stellar best picture, Tom Jones. My pick, How the West Was Won, was vetoed by Kim. Here's how we did...

Mad World was an ensemble cast comedy, featuring many of the old greats: Spencer Tracey, Milton Berle, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman and Mickey Rooney. It was very Rat Race-ish, basically about a bunch of strangers who witness the death of some rich guy, whose last words told them where all his cash is hidden. You can probably see where this is going. Filled with wild goose chases and a lot of physical, slap stick humor, this was a fun little movie with not much substance, but it at least had a followable plot, unlike cough cough Tom Jones. Considering movies like Shawshank Redemption, Cabaret and 2001 A Space Odyssey did not win a Best Picture, I felt neither of these films even deserved to be nominated. Kim enjoyed both these films more than I did (she's more a comedy lover than me anyway), and preferred Mad World over Tom Jones.

Whew, that dreaded year is over. Now, onto 1941! The Best Picture this year was one neither of us had heard of, How Green was My Valley. When you see the movies we picked, this winner may befuddle you. It is also the film Kim and I most disagree on. I really liked it, Kim really did not. It was a "slice of life" film about a mining town and about the trials and tribulations of one specific family in that town. I thought it was very well made, had great depth, and felt genuine. There were also some powerful, and entertaining, scenes. Kim thought it was excruciatingly dull and only could have been helped if Charlton Heston was in it. We just agree to disagree. I gave it a 4.5, she gave it a 2.875, with an overall score of a very uneven 7.375. Now, let's see the movies we picked...

Kim: Citizen Kane
Adam: The Maltese Falcon

You're thinking, WHAAAAAA?? I know, I know. Citizen Cane, considered by many to be the greatest film of all time, and Maltese Falcon, another classic. What movie won again? Anyway, we're putting How Green Was my Valley up to the test, against the powerhouses of that year. Stay tuned to find out who will win!

In the meantime....your favorite film? Citizen Kane, Maltese Falcon, or How Green was My Valley? Curious ears are listening...

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised how few movies from 1941 I actually heard of. Of course there were the two biggies, Citizen Kane (spelled with a "K", Adam -- not like a candy cane) and Maltese Falcon. Otherwise the only other film worth mentioning was Dumbo. My choice has to be CK -- which we just watched again a few months ago. It really is an excellent film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe i did spell it right two out of three times...

    ReplyDelete